Wire Framed Butterfly

This is a heavily adapted version of a crochet butterfly from the edging of this Butterfly Night Table Doily pattern. The goal was to create a standalone butterfly piece that had structure (which is hard to do since its wings are flat). I did this with wire instead of starch, which would be more typical for lace. I think wire is nicer to the touch, and it has the benefit of being easily moldable and resilient.

Along the perimeter of the wings, I crocheted around both the wire and the inner mesh with a simple sc and picot pattern and the occasional bead. I had to stuff as many sc’s as I could in the gaps to cover the silver wire. I finished it off by attaching a freeform body and some antennae to cover the center.

Jun 2019